Thursday, October 9, 2008

Why do I even go?

The past few weeks have been challenging for me. Gavin's work schedule hasn't permitted him to attend church with me the past few weeks. OK, well, I am capable and willing to go to church anyways. I know that I will receive blessings for attending church, so I tote Sydney along and go. Now, anyone who has a 1 year old knows that going ANYWHERE for 3 hours can be a challenge. But, going to church -- a place where Sydney needs to be quiet, stay near me, and play with the limited amount of toys and books that I was able to bring-- this is a major challenge -- especially when I am by myself.

One past Sunday was especially difficult. Sydney wasn't happy with ANYTHING I had. She was bored. Unwilling to even look at the same book one more time. It started in the first meeting, and her attitude didn't change for the remaining 2 hours. At the last meeting, she even got more out-of-control. She dumped her teddy grahams -- full of crumbs -- all over the floor. She was pulling everything she could get her hands on out of the diaper bag. And if I took it away, she would squeal. People were starting to stare. I grabbed her and went into the hall. I was at my wits end. I started to get emotional and wondered what I was doing. "I should just go home now" I thought to myself. "I'm not learning anything from the lessons or talks. I'm just battling this baby!" But, then a more controlled thought came into my head that helped to calm me down-- "No, don't go home. You should stay. If you go home frustrated now, it will be easier to leave in the future."

So, I didn't go home. I stuck it out. We stayed in the hallway, but just close enough to where I could still hear some of the words of the lesson.

Now, fast forward to the next week. Sydney was still a handful, but nothing compared to the experience the previous week. A older man came up to me (who I'd hadn't met yet) at the conclusion of the meeting and said "It is so nice to see you at church with your daughter. I really look up to 'single' parents who come to church." I was so touched. It made me realize that I was doing the right thing. I was so grateful that this man had the courage to come up to a stranger and deliver a much-needed message. It didn't stop there though. I was talking to a woman after Relief Society. I hadn't mentioned anything about how I'd been having a tough time or anything... But she proceeded to tell me how she had been alone while her kids were little, as her husband's callings kept him from sitting with them. And now, watching her boys pass and bless the sacrament, she knows that it really was worth going. She felt so overwhelmed at times, and sometimes left early, as I had thought to do. But, now she has realized how important going truly was. Another message I needed to hear.

Now I have a new perspective -- I may not be learning from the lessons and talks. But, I am learning something. I am learning how to be patient. I am learning perseverance. I am learning how to endure through tough times. I am learning how to be a better mother.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Laura! Great idea. I've been trying to add my 'gospel thoughts' to my blog as well lately. It's so important to share what we know!

Shan @ Design Gal said...

Girl, this was sooo great! Thank you!

Jamie said...

I sometimes feel the same way with Kaleb at church. Thanks for writing what you did. It is worth it though- to stay and to teach our kids how and why they need to be reverent and to worship.

Tiff and Griff said...

Thanks Laura, thats exactly what I needed to hear.

Keri said...

I love when our silent pleas for help are answered in the most unexpected ways. Only a few more months until nursery...hooray!

Heather said...

I am really glad I stumbled upon your blog. It is what I needed today. A member of our stake presidency addressed this subject last year. He said to the mothers of young children that if we were supposed to be there to listen then the church would be organized so the kids wouldn't be there to distract us. We attend meetings as a family for a purpose, and right now our purpose is to teach our children how to go to church, not necessarily to "listen" ourselves. When I go to church with that in mind I feel a lot less frustrated and am therefore able to feel the spirit more, even if I don't hear much of the lessons or talks. (Did that make sense? I'm trying to be brief.)

faith said...

laura, i'm glad you were able to have those two experiences. it really helps to strengthen us - especially when things can be so challenging. it makes me so grateful to know that god knows our hearts. even if we're not able to get out of church what we could without kids, god knows our intentions and desires. and we'll be able to learn those lessons in a different way if we try.