Friday, October 10, 2008

Come What May, and Love It

Last week I had the opportunity to listen to all 4 sessions of General Conference. The overall theme of the conference seemed to be overcoming our trials, living through adversity, having hope, etc... All of the talks were uplifting and gave me some great things to ponder about.

Someone has said that everyone will have a talk during conference that will "stick out" to them. It will be something that you need to hear at that point in your life. For me, that talk was Elder Wirthlin's talk. He spoke about trials and adversity. He gave us four ways to minimize or get through the adversity with less sorrow. While all four are extremely important, I am going to focus on the two that made my eyes open.

Find humor in things
When I left my occupation to come home and be a mom, I thought that I would be less stressed. I thought that life would be more carefree. In some ways, it is. But, my stress level seems to have risen, and that has put a strain on my ability to be more patient. When something goes wrong, a monster in me is unleashed. I get so angry and frustrated! It's like a totally different side of me that I never knew about. Elder Wirthlin told us to learn to laugh. And laugh often. Instead of getting mad, just laugh. This is a new goal for me. It will bring more peace to me, my daughter, my husband. It will allow the Spirit to be in our home.

Principal of Compensation
For those that don't know, I have a form of muscular dystrophy. It is not a life-threatening form. It just makes every-day life a little more challenging. As I've watched my muscles deteriorate over the past few years, I have many times gotten emotional. It's difficult to realize that there are physical things that I can't do anymore. Things that I used to love to do that have been taken away from me. Elder Wirthlin reminded me that what is taken away from me now, in this life, will someday be given back ten fold. He reminded me that this is just an earthly trial. Someday I will be able to dance again. I dream about the day that I will be able to run. Elder Wirthlin quoted the scripture "...then will I make weak things become strong unto them." (Ether 12:27) This scripture, as you can imagine, has new meaning to me. I know that my trials will end someday. I know that I will be blessed if I endure them well.

I enjoyed this talk so much. If you weren't able to listen to it, or want to listen to it again, click on this link and follow the directions below:

http://www.lds.org/move/index.html?type=conference&event=178&lang=english

Click on "Saturday Afternoon Session"(beneath the main screen) and then find Elder Joseph B Wirthlin in the video windows.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Elder Worthlin's talk really stuck out to me too. He had a wonderful and uplifting message. It is great to know that there are so many things we can do to ease our trials- like laughing a little more. :)

Cassie June said...

Sometimes I forget that we will be perfected after the resurrection. It will be amazing. Thanks for starting this blog. It will be a nice link to look at when I need a pick-me-up.

Brittney said...

This is a great blog Laura.
As for Sydney, it WILL get better. I promise. Boston is baby insane-o. He is so active and busy and curious. Once you make it to nursery, life is good. It is so nice to think, I only have to keep his still for an hour. And even nicer that I get to sit with Andy and pay attention during sunday school.

Heather said...

Thanks for your testimony. I love the way Elder Wirthlin always leaves such a spirit of hope. Keep the posts coming. They are wonderful.