Thursday, August 5, 2010

Small, Simple Things...

Two days ago, Sydney wanted to watch a movie but couldn't find the DVD/Surround sound remote. Adam is spending some time at our house, so he and I looked for it briefly, but decided to just turn the movie on without the remote. That evening, Gavin came home from work and we searched high and low for the remote. No where to be found. Last night the search started again. We emptied laundry baskets, looked in the trash cans, searched all the rooms and the garage. No where. Such a mystery that bothered all of us. Not that we need the remote to watch a movie, but just the fact we couldn't find it and had searched everyone -- that was annoying part.

My calling in our ward is the primary pianist. As I sit and watch the kids each week, I'm amazed by their simple faith. I recalled a story that a little girl had told; She had lost something, prayed, and then found it immediately. I remember doing similar things throughout my life. But, as I contemplated praying for a lost remote; I couldn't help thinking that it such a silly, materialistic thing to pray for.

Nevertheless, I decided to do it anyways. I even apologized to God in my prayer for praying for something so dumb. But I also knew that if it was his will, he'd help me to find it.

The exact minute I finished my prayer, an image came into my mind. I remembered Sydney holding this little black zippered cooler bag the day the remote went missing. I immediately went to the cupboard that they are stored in, and looked through all the bags (we have 3 or 4 -- I'm not sure how many total). Nothing. I was disappointed. I was SO sure it would be there. Confused, I looked a bit longer, then we decided to stop and just watch our movie without the remote.

This morning I was leaving my vanity area and I looked over at the closet floor. And there, amidst my pile of shoes, was another black cooler bag! I immediately smiled, picked it up, and unzipped it. There, the lost remote sat.

Albeit a simple thing, this experience makes my testimony grow of the power of prayer and the Holy Ghost.

3 comments:

Diane and Dwight said...

Thanks for sharing Laura ... I too have had simple prayers answered in similar ways.

Katie Hansen said...

This happened to us recently with Connor's glasses. Thanks for sharing this with us.

faith said...

Laura, That is a great story. I pray all the time for lost shoes or bears or blankets, etc. I am amazed at how well those prayers are always answered.